• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we too late to do anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

ohboothit

California-

Dad dies in 1986. Had no will. My brother and I are only children. Was married (our stepmother).

My brother and I assumed all Dad and our stepmother had was some personal possessions. We were young (not minors) and didn't persue anything further.

After all these years we recently found out Dad owned a house and some property when he died. Also, our stepmother apparently had filed a lawsuit against the hospital and won a judgement concerning our Dad. We don't know how much or exactly what for. The lawsuit was settled after Dad died.

Do we have any claim for anything here? Should we have been told about the property or lawsuit?

The biggest issue for us is when our stepmother passes away it appears her daughter will get everything.

Thank you!

HomeGuru

If Dad owned all real estate by way of joint tenancy with stepmother, then she gets it all. If not, then the matter should have been handled in Probate Court. Contact an estate attorney to check for you.

O

ohboothit

HomeGuru said:
If Dad owned all real estate by way of joint tenancy with stepmother, then she gets it all. If not, then the matter should have been handled in Probate Court. Contact an estate attorney to check for you.
Thank you for your reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">