• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I Speeding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waltjs

The state is California and the charge is Exceeding 55 mph Speed Limit on a Two-Lane Undivided Highway.
I do not think that what I did was speeding because it was necessary to avoid an accident. I was behind a slow driver (going about 50 mph) so I attempted to pass in the lane of oncoming traffic (legal). I had enough room to pass before the next oncoming traffic. I edged up beside the other driver when they decided to speed up on me. I then wasn't going to be able to complete the pass before oncoming traffic arrived. I used additional speed to get by them instead of droping back in behind them like I should have. The other driver sped up to about 65-70 mph and I sped up to 90 mph. I know this was illegal (an illegal pass I think) but was it speeding? I slowed back down to the speed limit as soon as I merged back in the right lane of traffic.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
WaltJS

racer72

When passing slower vehicles such as you were, it is legal to exceed the speed limit for a short period of time so the pass can be made quickly and safely. And as you stated, you should have dropped back behind the other driver. When you used excessive speed to pass someone else already exceeding the limit. bingo, your busted. You could have been cited for street racing too if the cop would have been in a bad mood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">