• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to make violent 'school' games?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nukezero

I was wondering, I live in the state of california and I'm underage and don't know the law and regulations as much.

But my question is very simple. All I want to know is if it's illegal or legal.

There is a computer game out there called "Counter-Strike" and it involves counter-terrorist and terrorists. The game has been out for two years and seems quite fun. So one day, a group of friends decided to make a map of their high school and play the game scenario in the high school scene.

So basically, what they did was they created a virtual 3D world of their High School and sent everybody the map so they can play it. Of course, I'm sure this may spark constroversy especially after several school shootings and incidents in the US, but my question is simple. Are these teens committing ANY crime or violating and law against the school, the school district, or the state in any way?

thanks!

JETX

The answer to your question is NOT as simple as you believe.

The problem is that your scenario crosses not only the strict boundary of the law, but also into a 'gray area' of school security and the perception of violence or harm.

As for the legal part, as you are aware, there are several 'levels' of laws; federal, state, county and even municipal. As you have described your scenario, I don't believe that your 'game' would violate any federal or state laws. We are unable to answer as to county or municipal statutes or ordinances.

As for the school and civil laws, you might have a a problem. With the heightened sensitivity to school violence and safety, almost any threat (real or perceived) could be taken very seriously. And someone who might see or hear of your 'game' could very well take it as a real threat and it could raise a lot of concerns, but with the school officials AND with the other parents and students. And though this 'game' might be totally harmless, it would certainly bring a lot of attention your way. It could also very easily violate the other students equally as important rights to attend a safe and secure school without any threat of violence.

I would strongly suggest that you consider the other students and school officials, and the possibility of repercussions against you, and make your gameboard 'place neutral' to avoid any possible misinterpretation. This little adjustment would most certainly prevent your being subject to a lot of unnecessary attention and suspicion.

I hope this has answered your question... and given you some details for thought.

D

dorenephilpot

Even though a student is three times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by school violence, schools are paranoid about even the HINT of violence.

Even though your scenario would be a free speech issue, I believe, it's probably not a battle that's worth fighting.

Schools err on the side of being paranoid so that they can protect themselves from liability, at the expense of imaginative, normal teenagers.

Yes, although you're not necessarily doing anything illegal, the trouble that your situation might cause might not be worth the pain you'll go through (and that your parents will go through).

N

nukezero

Alright thanks, I will take your advice into consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">