• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to funds for critical patients

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DaveM1

If a relative is unable to pay their bills while hospitalized is there same way to access or write checks in behalf of that person using that persons account? I was told that I shouldn't pay anything using my funds as if the relative passes away his estate is under no obligation to reimburse me. I have access to his checks and could sign them with his name but that I assume is forgery. Is there anything like temporary guardianship or Power of Atty? The relative is quite ill and unable to sign anything at this point.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

DaveM1 said:
If a relative is unable to pay their bills while hospitalized is there same way to access or write checks in behalf of that person using that persons account? I was told that I shouldn't pay anything using my funds as if the relative passes away his estate is under no obligation to reimburse me. I have access to his checks and could sign them with his name but that I assume is forgery. Is there anything like temporary guardianship or Power of Atty? The relative is quite ill and unable to sign anything at this point.

Thanks
My response:

In this instance, your only option is to file a Petition for Conservatorship in your local Family Court. Since the relative is unable to appear in court, i.e., it seems as though you are saying that the relative is an "incompetent", an attorney (acting in both that role and as Guardian ad Litem) will be appointed for the relative.

Conservatorship Orders will give you the permission you seek in order to pay the bills with the relative's funds.

If you are able to obtain favorable orders, the court will further order that your fees and costs be reimbursed to you out of the relative's funds.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">