• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MO How do we protect house still being paid for

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BowedOak1

My mother bought a house with the intention that my brother and I, both who have disabilities, would have a place to live after she is gone.
It is a duplex and I am living in one half, the other half is rented out. I pay 100% of the mortage to my mom, since the house is in her name. I do not have decent credit to get my own mortage.

We are concerned now, because even if it is written into her will that she intends the house for us, our other four siblings will try to get it divided in probate, or the mortage company will demand accelerated payment after her death.

What is the most sure fire way to make sure we can keep the house if money is still owed on it?

F

flipper

I'm not a lawyer,,, but I do understand that the "will" takes precedence over state probate laws governing the dispursment of assets. In other words, as long as the "will" is legal, notarized and witnessed, "official", then contesting that will would be very difficult and expensive, and probably futile to do so.

another option would be to go ahead and have the house signed over out-right. Or perhaps have a trust drawn out that outlines your mothers intentions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">