• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what's the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

link

If a living parent transfers $1,000,000 in real estate and stocks to a child today, will the parent owe gift taxes on the difference between that and $675,000 tomorrow?

Will it be appx. 40%?

Will the law change in 1/1/02?

Thanks in advance.

dmode101

#1 - Yes, less another $10,000 for the annual exclusion.

#2 - The gift tax would be $121,350, almost 40% of the amount that is subject to tax

#3 - The exemption amount rises to $1 million. Therefore, he could gift $685,000 this year and pay no tax, and then gift the remaining $315,000 (or $335,000) and still pay no tax.

L

link

Thanx for that info illinoisestateplan.

Here's one more - if you don't mind. How is the value on real estate determined for gift tax purposes. Does it matter down the line if a child sells property for much more than declared on gift tax return?

Thanx again.

dmode101

To reduce the chance of audit, you should get a fair market value appraisal of the property by a qualified appraiser. The IRS is always free to challenge a valuation on a gift tax return. Assuming no fraud, there is a statute of limitations on such a challeneg, which offhand I believe is 3 years, though don't quote me on that. It is perfectly natural for a house to sell for much higher in the future than what its value is today. However, a word of warning...gifted property retains a carryover basis for tax purposes, so your parent's original basis would be your basis. On the other hand, property passing from a decedent gets a stepped up basis (under current law) equal to the FMV on the date of death.

P

Pinkskunk

Hi illinoisestateplan.com

Sorry for jumping in here, this question is similar to the one i wanted to ask, although slightly different. I hope Link doesn't mind.

My mother owns approx. 80% of the home (approx. 100K) that she lives in. The bank owns the rest (my mother still paying mortage). She wanted to give her 4 adult children the house. That would be 25K each. This is NOT a cash value, but the real estate value. In other words, the four of us each own 25% of that home.

Here is the situation:

She will continue to live there
She will continue to pay the mortage (she has only 2 or more years to pay it off)
After the transfer/split, she no longer legally own the house, but the four of us are. But no one is able to sell it unless she said so or 3 out of 4 agree to sell it.

The question:

1) Is this real estate value that her children get will be taxed as gift tax? or it falls under estate tax?

2) What is the procedure to do the split/transfer? is a Lawyer needed in this process ?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">