• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about joint ownership of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsStyGomez

I live in Arkansas, and 4 years ago my mother passed away. At that time I was 16, and my older sister (my only other sibling) was 21.

All of the estate was split down the middle, each of us getting half. Most of the money was used to pay off any debts, including paying off the home that my mother and I lived in.

At this time I am still living in the house. My elder sister and her husband moved in with me, so we are all living in the house. I'm 19 and am ready to move out on my own (more than ready!) so we need to come to a decision about the house.

I assume that if one of us stays in the home, the other would have to buy the other half of the house. I let them know about 8 months ago that I wanted to move out, but no action has been taken. I don't want to move out until we agree on something... either she pays me for my half of the house (if she continues to live there) or we both move out and we sell. I'd settle for either way.

I'm wanting to know what rights I have and what I can do about this... I really don't want to take legal action against my sister, but I don't know what else to do :(

M

MsStyGomez

I did a little research and discovered that all I really need to know is what are my rights in severing a joint tenancy...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">