• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about school policy and civil rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

staceyann

Hello. I have two questions I am hoping to find the answers to.
We recently moved to a new school district in Fl and they have a couple of policy's that I am not comfortable with as I feel they violate my or my childrens civil rights.
My Daugher is in 7th grade and we received forms stating that ALL children in grades 6-8th must purchase a PE uniform through the school. The notice further states that any children who do not purchase and wear a uniform are subject to diciplinary action and that their grades will be affected.
Doesn't this violate my daughters right to a FAPE?
My other issue is that all the school's in this district require parents to sign up as school volunteers in order to accompany their children on Field trips or be involved in classroom activities.
The school also requires that all volunteers undergo a background check. So in essence the district is conducting background checks on all the parents. If you do not sign on as a volunteer (and submit to a background check) I cannot be involved with my son's class.
Is this legal?? I should mention that my sign is covered under IDEA because he is autistic.
I would also like to say that although I have no problem with volunteers submitting to background checks, I do not feel that they should be permitted to force me to sign up as a volunteer.
I do not feel that my child is at risk by other parents as the school policy states that no child is to be left with someone who is not a school employee.
Thank you.

D

dorenephilpot

When they say free appropriate public education, they can still charge you fees for things. But they cannot charge you more because your son is autistic or has other special needs.

Sounds to me like ALL the kids have to buy uniforms, so they're not singling out your child and making him pay more. Therefore, this fee is permissible and not a violation of the requirement of a FAPE.

On the background check deal, what happens to you if you don't "volunteer" to help -- and therefore don't submit to the background check? What is the prescribed penalty for that?

Do they kick your kid out of school? I sincerely doubt it.

Sounds to me like they need to structure it so that volunteers who actually volunteer can submit to the background check, which makes sense for liability and child safety reasons, but folks who don't want to volunteer can opt out and not volunteer.

Hope this helps!

S

staceyann

Thank you for your response.
In regards to the penalty for not volunteering. The penalty is that I am not permitted to go on field trips with my son or otherwise engage in classroom activities with him.
About the PE uniforms. The school says if I don't purchase one from them they will discipline my daughter, and it will affect her grade.
What if I can't afford it?
Thank you

LegalBeagle

Look at the field trips another way.. what if you found out that one of the adults looking after your child was a convicted murderer and 'ex' druggie? I personally think this approach should be standard across the whole country and across all areas when an adult is anywhere near someone else's child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">