• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Stepmother is keeping my fathers property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cheri Edwin

Hello- I m a 50 year old woman who just lost her father. My father resided in Chattanooga, Tennessee and died on August 10, 2001. I am his first born and he has three other children from his second marraige(one daughter is also deceased). While I was in Tennessee for the funeral, my stepmother had already signed over property and automobiles to her two children. My father said I was in the will and would be recognized as an heir at his death. I need to know if my stepmother is able to just start signing away property without probate and also how I can find out if a will is in probate. I live in Massachusetts so it makes it difficult to know exactly who to call. If she has already signed over the vehicles and the property, is it too late to contest? Please let me know. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Cheri Edwin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">