• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I dont think that the executor is being fair or honest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soozsong

Can I request from the court in Washington State that some kind of fiduciary
be involved in the distriburion of an estate if I believe that the executor isn't being completely honest about things? Also isn't there some kind of conflict of interest clause that limits or at least regulates primary creditors becoming administrators of the estates of people who passed intestate?

A

advisor10

AUG. 23, 2001

DEAR SOOZSONG:

Please clarify what you mean when you say the executor is not being "exactly honest". Does their error/incompetence mean a significant loss of funds to other beneficiaries/heirs?

An executor can be replaced but the reason must be a valid one. You would need to consult with a local probate attorney about how to have an attorney file a petition with the court that would explain your objection.

Primary creditors are allowed to be executors of an estate since they have a great interest in recovering any monies owed, and are much more likely to be named in an intestate estate since no one knows how to locate a family member or other related interested party. If you are a closely related family member of the decedent who thinks you could do a better job, then you need to file a petition with the court to ask to be the executor.

You should also post this question on the website www.lawguru.com where it is more likely that you would get a response from a State of Washington attorney.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">