• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a legal right to demand copies of all settlements of my father's affairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

millertime136

My Father passed in Dec of 2000. His last will was never signed. My sister was appointed executress. Their are issues that are "out side" of the Will. Such as my sister the executress'es name on the deed of my fathers house as half owner. The other half being my step mothers. Another issue is an anuity that the executress shares half with my father's wife. Funds from the anuity are to be split amoung the rest of my siblings. One other brother gets my father's buisness and the property is sits on. To date, I have seen nothing in writing. All information provided to me has been verbal with the executress. Do I have a legal right to demand copies of any and all paperwork pertaining to the settlement of my father's affairs?? And can I demand to see a detailed list of expenses incurred that were deducted from the anuity before what's left to disburse?? My Father resided and passed in NY.

JETX

You certainly have the right to go to the Probate Court and review and get copies of the documents in the probate file.

Also, you have every right to obtain counsel and ask the probate court to order certain documents and reports from the executrix of the estate.

But, you really have no right to 'demand' the documents without a court order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">