• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I did not sign my ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjbrox

First a review. I got a ticket for going 77 in 55, and in VA that is a reckless driving ticket. The thing that is cool, is that I DID NOT sign the ticktet. The cop did not ask me to sign it

I meet with my lawyer on friday, and his advice was to not go to court. YOu see when you sign the ticket you promiss to go to court :) He said that when they notice that I did not sign the ticket, the judge will ask the cop if he wants to serve a warrent on my ass, and unless the cop is a jerk he will just say forget, and I will be cool. The lawyer said he would find out the day after my court date what happened, to ensure that i do not get cops knocking on my door.

Now the cop might want to come get me. In that case I will have to show up at court, and my lawyer will show up with me.

What do you all think about all this?

Last edited:

S

Smithy

Warrants are bad. They cost a lot of money and they can 'come get you' at any time. If you're in your car it'll be impounded. If you're at work it will be embarrassing, to say the least.

racer72

Your lawyer is an idiot. When you sign a ticket, it just means you know why you were stopped and what you need to do. Many states, Virginia included, do not required signatures on tickets that require mandatory court appearances. If you do not show up, a bench warrant will be issued. If/when you are stopped again, you will be arrested, your car will be impounded and you will go to jail. As Clint Eastwood once said, "Do you feel lucky?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">