• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guilty until you prove yourself innocent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynyrd44

We went to traffic court today to contest our son's ticket he received after an accident. We spoke to someone with the DA's office and he said we had only 2 choices: have a trial date set or apply for diversion. For diversion, we have to contact the other party's insurance co. and ask for a statement that their client's policy was in effect at the time of the accident and that they are taking care of their vehicle. I told the DA that we have a copy of the other drivers statement stating he started passing the vehicle directly behind my son and did not see my son turning. My son told the County Sheriff and the DA that he did have his turn signal on and looked in rear view mirror and drivers side mirror and did not see anyone passing. We also had the diagram that the Sheriff drew of the accident scene as to how the accident happened. As for filing for diversion, after and if we receive the info from the other insurance co., our son will have to have a clean record for 7 mos before this ticket will be removed from his record. This is my son's first accident and ticketas this was the first time he drove by himself. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Or why do we have to prove him innocent? Thanks for any help/advice you can give. This is in Kansas:confused:

D

DRUSS1964

you have the choice to set a trial date if you believe your son innocent set a date

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">