• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They won't let me go to school.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wanesty

I recently had a baby and moved to Indiana where the father lived. My mother is totally aware of this and gave me consent. My problem:
They won't let me go to school b/c my mother doesn't live in the state. I was told by the principal that my mother could sign me in and I could pay tuition. All I had to do was write a letter to the school board and see what they said. They turned my request down and said that I would have to be emancipated. Well...I tried to be emancipated but the lawyer I talked to told me that I would have to be emancipated in the state that my parents were divorced, which was Kentucky. Well my mother tried that but they said they couldn't emancipate me b/c I do not live within the state. She then tried to get me emacipated in Ohio where she lives but they told her they don't emancipate people.
I really want to graduate from high school. I need HELP.

I think it's funny how most of the kids in high school don't want to be there and they won't let someone that actually wants to go.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

B

busta

Wanesty,

If you are serious about school, take grandmaB's advice from your previous post. I realize you want to stay close to the babies father, but YOU do have CHOICES. Your mother appears to be understanding, so I'm sure she'll take you in while you're going to school. YOU need to CHOOSE between your desire to be near boyfriend (even if that desire is for babies sake) and your stated desire to return to school. You cannot have both at this particular point in time. The previous choices you've made, and I'm NOT judging, have placed you where you are today. NOW you need to focus on choices that are best not only for you, but now also for your baby.
You say you have (or your mother has) tried contacting different State agencies to resolve this matter to no avail. This may be the end of legal resolutions to your current problem. I don't know. If this is the case, then nobody on these boards will be able to help you. NOW YOU NEED TO CHOOSE. What do you want for your baby?
One last thought, look into marriage with the birth father. You would probably need signed consent from mom, but she seems willing. This may, and I stress MAY, automatically emancipate you. Check your state laws! The added bonus is an even more stable home for your baby.
Best of luck to you, seriously. Choose wisely.

S

sprn805

Free public education does not allow control of your personal choices.

I had to send my daughter to my mother's home in another county to go to school. They tried to charge me tuition. I spoke with an attorney who suggested I share custody with my mother, allowing her to attend school in mother's county. When I got to court the judge said all that was necessary was that my mother be granted guardianship. Please note that for the purposes of attending school, this can not be done. We had to apply for this guardianship for the purpose of allowing my mother to aquire insurance for my daughter and to be able to take responsibility for her in an emergency. This was the reason used to grant guardianship. The fact that this allowed her to attend school in my mother's district was what we were ourselves intending. If you are a minor it is in your best interest to have an adult, your boyfriend or his parent or guardian named your guardian for all purposes, including going to school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">