• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Officer had a girl in the passenger seat with him?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avgrphx

I was pulled over the other night and rec'd a ticket for an unregistered vehicle. The result of Massachusettes screwed up internet based registration process that obviously has some major flaws.

Anyway, I noticed that when I got in the police car to be driven to the station as my car was impounded that the officer had a "guest" in the passenger seat with him! It was obviously his girlfriend (but I can't prove that yet). She clearly had no police markings on her clothes and was not there for an authorized ride along..she was just keeping him company.

I did not appreciate the fact that this civilian had access to all of the personal information streaming across the officers laptop regarding me and my drivng record, etc. Also, it seems to me that what was happening to me was between me, the officer and the court...not this person that I didn't give permission to see my information. Who knows what she saw and now knows about me. How can I go after this guy (he was a young prick) for having this unauthorized person in the car and letting her see all this information, plus embarrass me in the process? Is there a privacy issue here?

racer72

What privacy are you talking about? All the information used during your traffic stop is all available as part of the freedom of information act. Your traffic ticket is now part of the public record and can be viewed by anybody. You do not have a valid claim.

A

avgrphx

So I can log in as user to the private Police LAN also?

So you are telling me that ALL of the information displayed or available on the laptop that an officer has in his car is available to the public? That person might have well been logged in to that police LAN on another system and been able to review the whole states driving and criminal records. Where can you do this other than looking over the shoulder of an officer in his car? Because that is what was at her fingertips while he was out of the car and she sat there with that laptop open and logged on in front of her.

Forgive my ignorance as to what type of information is available on those systems, but the whole situation looked a little fishy. Police officers can have spouses and girlfriends ride along with them on MY dime??? What happens if this guy totals his car in a chase and they are unauthorized to be in there and DIE...who is liable?

racer72

Anybody can go to any state department of licensing and obtain the driving record and license information (some withhold home address) of any licensed driver. This is guaranteed under the Freedom of Information Act. And all court records (of which your citation is now part of) are considered public record and is available to anyone. I have participated in a ride along program with my local police department and I was just another civilian in the front seat. None of the information made available during traffic stops would be of any use to me. And the officer was forbidden from high speed pursuit while I was a passenger. I would have to assume the same applied with the officer in your case. Have you contacted the jurisdiction the officer works for to find out their policy on ride alongs?

A

avgrphx

Thanks for all the input.

Thanks for the input. I am going to go to the Police station and inquire about the ride along policy and to let them know I don't appreciate the officers I pay to "Protect and Serve" turning work into dates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">