• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required Summer Reading

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

highschoolmom

A teacher in our school in Georgia has required that all of the students in the 11th grade read John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. She gave the students a test over this book on the first day of school. These grades were recorded in the gradebook.

As a parent, I want to know if a teacher has a legal right to tell a student what they must do while on summer vacation. Also, do I have a right as a parent to say that my student will not read this book? I personally find the book offensive in language and racial issues. The book goes against the principals that I am trying as a Christian to instill in my child.

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" is a classic of fine literature, and written at a time when the language and racial epithets were common and accepted - - it has nothing to do with your Christian morals. The book, if you will, shows the ways of the past, and how not to repeat those mistakes.

Just wait until your son is required to read "The Grapes of Wrath", or "Gone With The Wind".

You're not one of them religious "book burners" are you ?

There is no law that mandates or requires a student to read any book during the Summer months. However, once your child is back in school, your child is now back on the teacher's "turf" and can give your child any grade she chooses.

So, you make the choice.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

highschoolmom said:
A teacher in our school in Georgia has required that all of the students in the 11th grade read John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. She gave the students a test over this book on the first day of school. These grades were recorded in the gradebook.

As a parent, I want to know if a teacher has a legal right to tell a student what they must do while on summer vacation. Also, do I have a right as a parent to say that my student will not read this book? I personally find the book offensive in language and racial issues. The book goes against the principals that I am trying as a Christian to instill in my child.

Thank you.
Closed mindedness always leaves a sour taste in my mouth..

Out of curiosity, did you stop him from reading that book? What was his grade?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">