• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shannondskelton

Tennessee - I have had no contact with biological father or any of his family in approx. 5 years. He and my mother are divorced and he did not remarry. He died on July 13,2001. No one in family will tell me if there is a will, so I applied to be administratrix, as there will be only 2 heirs, myself and my sister (we are very close). Problem arises because he lived in a house beside my grandmother (his mother). The 15 acres of land and her house and his were put on a life estate deed. She lives there until she dies then it was to all go to him. With no will, that will be myself and my sister. We do not control the land until she dies. I will need to get into the house to properly be the administratrix of the estate. I have no keys to the house. Can I have a locksmith break in? I know she will refuse to give the keys to me. I know I can get a court order for her to turn over the keys, but that will take time and money. Common sense tells me that I cannot be in control of the estate if I can't get to it, but I also don't want to wind up in jail for breaking and entering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">