• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help School system made mistake now my son suffers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robreg

My son was suspended and he went to a alternative
school. The orginal ruling from the school system
was that he was not allowed to return to his home
school. His suspension ended at end of last school
year. I wrote a letter to the school board requesting that they allow him to return to his home school We had planned to send my son to another school in another school district and pay
the tuition so he could be in a good school band if they did not change their mind. We got one letter back from a adminstrator that the school board would not reconsider his placement. A week later we got another letter through the alternative school on school systems letterhead
that my son had been approved to return to his home school. We followed the intructions in the letter and enrolled him at his home school. This
happened in June. He got is Sr pictures made and
attended two week band camp and now they say the letter was a mistake. My son was just getting his
life back to normal (17yrold). We meet with the adminstrators and finally got them to agree to go
to the Supt of Schools have have him go the the School Board. The school board meet in closed session on Aug 20. We did not get the results until the next Saturday. I think they did it that
way so we would not go to the public school board
meeting on Wedsday. The denied our request to allow him to stay at his home High School but now
have him transfered to another High School. My son is devastated. They admitted that they made a mistake but it is their policy not to change the results of the hearing. They really don't care what they have done to my son. Does anyone know
what we could do? School starts Sept 4. We are in
Newport News , Va.

D

dorenephilpot

If your son is a special education student, you can request a due process hearing through your state's department of education.

If he's a regular education student, you'll have to sue in either state or federal court, alleging violation of his constitutional rights and alleging damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">