• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal right when an officer leaves the scene

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

page69

An officer pulled me over for running a red light. I was very tired from being over worked and didn't notice that the light in front of me had turned yellow. I tried to come to a stop before I entered the intersection, but realized that I was going to end up in the middle of it. Thus, I went through the light. An officer (going in the opposite direction, at a left turn signal) witnessed the violation, pulled me over, took my license and registration and began to right up the ticket. While waiting for my citation to be written, he ran up to my window and told me he would be back in a few moments. He got into his car and left the scene. Five to ten minutes later he came back, finished writing the citation, had me sign it an left.

I was under the impression that once an officer began writting a violation, they had to finish so before leaving the scene!?

Please advise

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">