• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd moving violation innocent mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shawshank

This was in toledo ohio.

Alright, I got off the expressway and was next to a cop at a red light. I come to a complete stop and turn right on red. Then I am at another light and the cop pulls me over. I was dumbfounded, had no idea why whatsoever and I told him this. He just said I turned on red in a no turn on red area. I said I didn't se a sign. Well there were two and you weren't paying attention license and registration please..........I drove by the same place(not approaching from the original way though) and saw there was one no turn on red sign not next to the right most light which I was looking at when i turned. I went by again just exactly as when I did when I got the ticket. Again I couldn't see the no turn on red sign by the right most light. When the light turned green the sign came into view as I turned. It turns out that the sign was blocked by the post that runs from my roof to the hood, along the windshield in my car. The reason that it was blocked by the post was the white line that you stop at was not parallel to the road. I.E if you were making a right turn you were angled towards the right. Now i got a ticket for this, which is my second in a month. I see it as total bull because this turning on red ticket was totally an innocent mistake, I couldn't see the sign. And since i am 17 my license is going to most likely be suspended. Is there anything I can do to prevent my license form being suspended.

D

DRUSS1964

tickets are intended for those who make innocent mistakes they are to teach you to not make them
it could be worse your little innocent mistake could have caused an accident that could kill someone

Q

qadaq

DRUSS1964 is right. You probably had a 1 in 3 or 4 trillion chance of killing somebody. (No, I didn't do the math.) Since it's 1 in 3 or 4 trillion rather than 1 in 3 or 4 quadrillion, they put the sign there. By the way, it's more likely you'd be the one killedsince you'd be putting your door in the way of their bumper.

Check this. See if the sign stays hidden all the way down the exit ramp. See when it becomes invisible. If it's hidden all the way down see if you can get somebody to camcord it for you and show that to the city attorney. Maybe they'll give you a break. If it blanks out just as you get there your case will be a lot weaker but you could still show it to the guy. Also, check the statutes covering the placement of those signs. Your local library can probably either help, or can point you in the right direction. If the sign is placed in such a manner as to violate that statute you have something. (Such as "must be visible to drivers stopped at the light".) You take a picture and there you go. By the way, I believe tickets are there for those who willfully break the law. (However stupid those laws may be.) Warnings are for those who make honest mistakes. Get a lawyer if you can, talk to the prosecutor yourself if not. Just talking to them can get you a break. (Here they do the old "double the fine, drop the charge to non-moving" routine) especially if you mention that will could cost you your license. Correction: I don't know if you want to mention that or not. It could work or it could backfire.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">