• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prenuptual agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anna Ruel

my mother was married yesterday to a honduran (illegal) immigrant who is under temporary protection. they were married and live in indiana and both signed a prenuptual agreement that she found online - she did consult with her lawyer.

does the prenuptual agreement remain valid if they move to honduras? (i was told honduran law would prevail resulting in the assets being split in half)

i am specifically concerned about her residential property and investments inherited from my deceased father.

Last edited:

ALawyer

That SHE saw a lawyer may not be sufficient -- did HE also have indepedent legal counsel?

As for her assets, if she placed them in an appropriate trust NOW, naming you as beneficiary, before she went to live in a country whose laws I do not even begin to understand (an probably a lawyer would have him again consent to this, regardless of the pre-nup), as the assets would no longer be hers, but the trust's, and not subject to foreign law, he likely might not be able to inherit those assets, at least as easily. ALSO, warn her it is not just death that could possibly cause him to acquire her assets under foreign law, but divorce.... Guess who the foreign courts would likely favor should the marriage not succeed!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">