• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VA driver

The officer claimed the area wass a 35 MPH zone.

I was going 51 mph.

My thoughts are as follows: the laast posted sign was 0.8 miles away inside a small town. At 0.5 miles I saw the town limit. At 0.2 miles from the town limit I started to speed up. In VA when the speed limit is not posted the speed limit for that road type is 55 mph. In the town the speed limit is reduced to 35 MPH for that type of a road.

The officer was in a car sitting by the 55 MPH speed limit.

In PA there is a maximum distance between speed limits. That distance is 0.5 miles. I feel that
I was not speeding, since it was beyond the city limit and it was over 0.5 miles between speed limit signs.

Does anybody think I am right?

racer72

Pennsylvania law does not apply in Virginia, that is not an issue. The 55 mph speed limit starts at the sign, not 0.2 miles from the the town limit sign. You were exceeding the last posted speed limit sign. And as you have found out, the town speed limit does not end at the edge of town. Is it just me or have there been a lot of posts from Virginia in this forum lately?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">