• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pell grant and quitting a school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelan65

The situation I have is with a Pell Grant I've received to go to a Cosmotology school. I qualified for the full amount for one year = 3125.00. If I attend the full year I get the whole amount. If I attend half a year I get half that amountand so on. Prorated so to speak.
THe reason beauty schools in particular are nightmares with financial aid is because if I drop out, the school is of course required to send back the portion of the Pell not used, then the school has this little piece of paper they made me sign that ~ probably ~ says I'll have to pay the tuition regardless of finishing. So the gentleman running the school, who is also in charge of financial aid, will get his full tuition, either through the Pell, or out of my pocket. It's just tough if I decide it's something I don't want to do and want out of.

My only arguement is that one would need to bring a lawyer with them to truely know and understand all the small print that one has to sign at the beginning. Particularly if it was brought to me during class to sign, and I was only given a second to sign it based on what he - the financial aid officer - quickly told me it was. He called it "routine" for financial aid, expected me to sign it and get back in class. As I walked away he said it was "like a promisary note that you'll pay". He never did explain anything about financial aid very clearly to me. Always made it confusing and got impatient with me if I kept asking questions to try to understand. SO I'm probably responsible for paying...

Any legal recourse? Do I have any leg to stand on or am I going to be forced to finish this awful school just so I won't owe him money? I ask this because I'm not pleased with the way the school is run and it has made me change my mind entirely about cosmotology as a career.
Thanks
Angela

D

dorenephilpot

Yours is a contract law question, not an education law question.

Try to post your question on the contracts law area, and I think you'll probably get some good advice there.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">