• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kuntrykitten2

:confused:

I am on disabiity. I would like to know if there is a way to protect myself and my income should I receive funds from an estate. Is there a way to put it in trust?

ALawyer

If you are on SSD, there is no asset test and you could be Bill Gates -- it's like private disability insurance.

If you are on SSI - Supplemental Security Income -- there are several tests BOTH income and assets below a certain level AND a qualifiying disability so that you can not find a job in the national economy. IF that's the case and you have a relative who would leave you money and you fear that will disqualify you, a trust arrangement can often work things out. If the death occurred, it's probably too late

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">