• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY speeding ticket -- supporting deposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adr5

A friend of mine recently got a speeding ticket
in NY state. They have a NY drivers license
so I suggested they not just pay up. He mailed
out the ticket with a plea of not-guilty. He
also checked off the box that requested a supporting deposition. He recieved the supporting depostion, but it says no more than the ticket.
He filled in the name, location, and law that was alleged broken, but there are no details about the how he clocked my friend. I did some research on supporting depositions and what it says is that the supporting deposition must have "factual allegations" supporting the charge. What are "factual allegations"? One reason to request the supporting deposition was to get more information on how my friend was clocked. That way we could go about preparing a defense, but none were provided. I've been told, but I can't confirm, that when you go to court the officer can only present evidence that is in the supporting depostion. Since there is nothing in the deposition besides speeding 70/55, it would be
an easy case to win. Is this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">