• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA Elder Protective Services on the take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donovan4x

In April 2001, I took my 7-year-old daughter to visit her grandmother, my mother, in Brookline, MA. My mother is 83 years old, and has dementia. I live in Georgia, have MS and am 100% disabled. I hadn't been able to visit my mother since the previous June.
I have a brother who lives directly across the street from my mother.
The first thing I discovered was that my brother had given my mother's brand new BMW away to a friend of his, out of state, without her knowledge or consent. I found many months of canceled checks from my mother’s bank accounts, signed by my brother for his bar tab, automobile, etc. all for his personal use. . He had been writing and signing my mother’s checks for himself. That same weekend I found 2 trust documents established 1956 and 1959 listing me as a 25% beneficiary to 2 apartment buildings. My dad died in 1972. Shortly after his death, my brother graduated from law school. He never practiced but became my mother’s legal advisor. I was never informed of the existence of either trust, or that I was a beneficiary to both of them. 28 years is a long time. The first time I had any idea was in April of 2001. My brother left a copy on my mother’s dining room table, accidentally. I read it. The trusts expired in 1976 and 1979 respectively. My brother took it upon himself to break 1 apartment building in to condos. He sold 2 and with the profits bought a 4 star restaurant. He drank it away within a year. I discovered that he had taken control of all of my mother’s financial affairs. He sold all of her stocks in January $700,000, and lost more than $80,000 in the sale. My brother is 50, single with no dependents, a drunk, and hasn’t worked for many years. I went to the police. They refereed me to West Suburban Elder Services. A protective services woman came out the following day. She told me that she had investigated abuse claims against my brother the previous summer, but the investigation had been terminated. I was freaking out. I told the woman all that I knew, fedexd copies of the fraudulent checks, and a copy of the trust fund. I sent her more information. I had a registry of deeds search done. It listed my brother and myself as 25% beneficiaries, and my mother as 50%. When I returned to Boston a couple of weeks later a friend of my brother’s informed me that the investigation had been closed. I was shocked. I went to the woman’s office and showed her the copy from the registry of deeds. I asked if she had seen it. She said no. I asked her why she didn’t do any investigation into the allegations I had made. The history showed 3 different transfers of both properties for the benefit of my brother. It also showed as a final transaction the transfer of deeds into his name. It was signed by my mother 4-06-01. I gave the woman a copy of the quitclaim deed. The first time I met this woman she told me that she had met my mother the previous summer and didn’t believe she was competent to handle her own affairs. The investigation has remained closed, and I have not heard from anybody since. I sent a letter of complaint to both the AG and Office of Elder affairs. I have received no response. My brother remains in complete control of $2,000,000, now with the blessing of Protective Services and the fine state of MA. If it wasn’t so tragically real, it would be a perfect satire of jurisprudence. Perhaps it is. I can’t even afford to hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">