• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong information on ticket - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdipoi

I was given a ticket for speeding in New Jersey. I found out later that the Officer put 2001 on the year of my car and it's really 1995. This was probably because I just bought the car and I had a temporary registration in the rear window at the time. He must of assumed that it was brand new. On top of it, my car doesn't exist in 2001 form, since it was discontinued in 1999.

Although this ticket was handed to me, can I get this dismissed because of this? I know that parking tickets can be dismissed if the information is not exact.

M

MD driver

Iwas in traffic court once and someone said my ticket says 10:00 am i wasnt even in my car at 10:00 am it was 10 pm the judge said let me fix that and he took the ticket and corrected the time...GUILTY

A

adr5

You might get off on this one. First thing is to plead not-guilty and go to court. The officer will get to give his testimony first. Let him read off his notes and he will once again mis-identify your vehicle. It is important that he repaeats the make model and year of your car.
When he is done it is your turn to question him.
Ask him if he say a 2001 "your make" "Your model"
car speeding? Ask him if that is the car the
he meant to stop? When he answers yes to both quetions, pull out your registraion and ask for
a dismissal because the officer saw a different
car speeding and mistakenly pulled your car over.

wtd

Not sure, but don't think cops keep too many 'notes' regarding traffic stops.

Not a lawyer, so just my thoughts -
In the case of the scenario presented in the post (above, immediate) the cop would most likely simply identify the driver of the car he stopped, the error in automobile identification becoming a mere typo.
It seem to me that the Perry Mason scenario mentioned might just as easily wind up like this -
Q: Did you pace the car that you ultimately stopped?
A: Yes
Q: When you approached the car after stopping it, who was driving the car?
A: Defendant.
Result: Guilty.

I'm afraid that I'd have to agree with post 2 & 3 and our original poster would indeed be found guilty.

wtd

Q

qadaq

I might interject something into scenario 2. The first question is quite valid. Did he pace the car he ultimately stopped? If he followed you and clocked you see scenario2. If he popped you with radar we might still be looking at scenario 1. He can't be sure which car he actually hit with the radar. Did he break eye contact with your car? I'm not a lawyer either but I can see this working. On the other hand, I'd talk to a real lawyer, although they get really huffy when you try to do something other than the norm. (I wanted to make the officer an identify me since he didn't put any license info at all on my ticket and the lawyer I talked to not only refused, but got irate that I would fight an illegal left turn with such vigor.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">