• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College tuition for WWI decendents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caspers

I live in Illinois, but this is a federal question.

I heard that if you are a decendent of a WWI veteran, Congress passed a law shortly after WWI was over that stated anyone who was a decendent of a WWI veteran was entitiled to free in-state collge tuition. That means all of his or her children, grandchildren, greatgranchildren and so on are qualified for free college tuition as long as they go to a school that is in the state where they reside.

Is this true?

L

lawrat

Contact your local elected official's office and have them check with the Congressional office. It may be a bill pendng.

C

caspers

lawrat said:
Contact your local elected official's office and have them check with the Congressional office. It may be a bill pendng.
Thank you Lawrat for responding. I'm going to call my attorney and see what he can dig up. This would have been legislated around eight years ago. If it is true, you can see why the colleges conveniently decide not to mention it to all applicants. Then you would have to go through a mountain of paperwork to prove you were a descendent, but it would be worth it in the end.

Take care,
Caspers

C

caspers

LegalBeagle said:
That would be one expensive program.
Thank you LegalBeagle.

If the legislation was passed in the '20's, it wouldn't have been that expensive since a very small percentage of people went on to higher education in that era.

Anyway, take care and don't work too hard.

C

caspers

caspers said:

Thank you Lawrat for responding. I'm going to call my attorney and see what he can dig up. This would have been legislated around eight years ago. If it is true, you can see why the colleges conveniently decide not to mention it to all applicants. Then you would have to go through a mountain of paperwork to prove you were a descendent, but it would be worth it in the end.

Take care,
Caspers
Typographical error. Eighty years ago instead of eight years ago.
Anyway, I'll let everyone know what I found out when I find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">