• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

returning stolen property to estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmcgill

My grandmother died in 1994. Before she died, she promised me that I would receive her engagement ring. Then, the ring was stolen from her home, and therefore was not mentioned in her will. To my knowledge, no police report was filed. I have recently discovered that my sister had stolen the ring and now has it in her possession, and will not return it to me. I would like to know if the ring should be returned to my grandmother's estate, and what would happen to it from that point. I assume I have no legal recourse to take her to court, as the will does not specifically mention the ring. But since it is actually recovered stolen property, how should this be handled? My grandmother lived in Maryland, the sister is in Pennslyvania. I am in New Jersey. My grandmother's lsawyers were the excutors of the estate.

JETX

As I see it you have three separate, but related, problems:
1) there was no police report on the 'lost' ring, thereby it is not stolen property and can't be ordered returned as such.
2) I assume that there are no witnesses or will issues to confirm your 'claim' to a promise to give.
3) Your sister can equally claim that (a) the ring has been hers all along, or (b) that it was given to HER by your grandmother before she died. And, it doesn't appear to be any evidence to the contrary.

Reluctantly, it looks like you are just going to have to rely on your sisters 'conscience' to resolve this one.... you appear to have no case for a legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">