• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York Used Car Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peterjones44

Dear All,

I recently bought a Cadillac Seville from a dealer in New York State.

I have discovered that the catalytic converter has been cut out of the exhaust system and a pipe welded in its place. I must now replace the whole exhaust system.

The car is not covered under New York's "Lemon Law" as it had done over 100,000 miles.

Does the above constitute a breach of New York's Vehicle Law Section 417, which requires the dealer to certify the vehicle complies with requirements of the Commissioner's Regulations, and at the time of delivery was in condition and repair to render satisfactory service on the public highway? I have the dealers certificate to this effect.

Does the removal of the converter constitute a breach of any New York State or Federal emmission laws?

Any advice would be very gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.

Peter Jones

L

lawrat

under fraud and misrepresentation, you may be able to recover.

Try your local better business bureau or state department of consumer affairs.

P

peterjones44

Thanks for your advice. I shall follow it up.

Peter Jones

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">