• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two citation dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fuscucla1

I live in CA and have two citations pending, one in la county and one in orange county. Is it possible to attend traffice school for each violation because they are in different counties or do the counties share info? If so, any other suggestions/solutions to avoid points on my record?

F

fuscucla1

La county, rolling a stop sign, it wasnt visible I have pictures and have a court date on Oct 3rd. Orange county, 80 mph in a 65.
My last ticket was in 1996 and I went to traffic school, my record has no points. I cant afford a hike on my insurance payments.

F

fuscucla1

From my understanding the court holds the citation until you complete traffic school. If completed the court doesnt report to the DMV. I figured since the counties are different they wouldnt know about my other violation and would each honor my traffic school completion and not report to the DMV. Just to clarify what the section states...does 41501 (a) say that you can have it dismissed if it has occured twice within 12 months?

Q

qadaq

If you can talk to a lawyer please do. It may be worth the potential insurance hike.

If not, here's my two cents worth. In my experience, no points means no foul. Given this, your record is clean. (If I understand you.) Check the laws on the placement of stopsigns. If they have to be visible, (and I'm sure they do) you have probably have a good case for getting that one dropped. You might show the pictures to the DA, maybe he can help. One possible snag. Is it a four way stop? If so can you see the other stop signs? If so you're ok. You can argue that it might have been a 3 way stop with your way clear. If you can't see ANY stop signs pointing any direction you're dead, because here, at least, you treat an uncontrolled intersection as a four way stop.

This leaves the one in Orange county. If you can do the school thing go for it. Worst case scenario, have your insurance agent check your record just before everything hits. If they're like my insurance company, they won't check again until time to renew. The hike may at least be delayed. Also, some insurance companies let you slide on one ticket. I hope it works out for you.

One other possibility. How much time do you have for your court date? How long is traffic school? It's possible you can get a later court date for one while doing the school for the other. Once that's done and the ticket is dropped you can take care of the other one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">