• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to exhibit registration card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

uspc

:confused:

I need some help in fighting a ticket: "Failure to exhibit registration card".

1) This past weekend, I was pulled over by a NJ State Trooper. He claims I was in the passing lane for more than a mile.
In fact, I witnessed a minivan and a bus fighting for the lane next to me and therefore did not get back into the right lane in time.
He issued me a warning. Does a warning go on record? (Lucky me.)

2) In the process, he requested my license and registration. My registration stickers are currently. Unfortunately, I then realized
that I had misplaced my current registration card in my car. I only
had my previoius registration card (expired). He then issued me
a ticket for violation of section 39.3.17: "Failure to exhibit
registration card".

Should I fight this ticket? How do I do so? How does 39.3.17
actual read? I did have my current registration sticker. I just
could not locate my current registration card and thus had to
substitute with my previous (expired) registration card. Is this
not contrary to the letter of the law? Where can I read the
letter of the law? (I am a NYC resident.)

Moreover, NYC police did not have problem accepting my previous
(expired) registration card. Why would NJ State Trooper have a problem?

Please help me educate myself. This is a start for me to become
a more involved and informed citizen.

Thank you in advance for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Confused.

wtd

39:3-29. License, registration certificate and insurance identification card; possession; exhibit upon request; violations; fine; defense
The driver's license, the registration certificate of a motor vehicle and an insurance identification card shall be in the possession of the driver or operator at all times when he is in charge of a motor vehicle on the highways of this State.
The driver or operator shall exhibit his driver's license and an insurance identification card, and the holder of a registration certificate or the operator or driver of a motor vehicle for which a registration certificate has been issued, whether or not the holder, driver or operator is a resident of this State, shall also exhibit the registration certificate, when requested so to do by a police officer or judge, while in the performance of the duties of his office, and shall write his name in the presence of the officer, so that the officer may thereby determine the identity of the licensee and at the same time determine the correctness of the registration certificate, as it relates to the registration number and number plates of the motor vehicle for which it was issued; and the correctness of the evidence of a policy of insurance, as it relates to the coverage of the motor vehicle for which it was issued.

Any person violating this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00.

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.

I've had the same thing happen, sometimes you get a nice cop - sometimes you don't.

Should you fight it? Seems to be more or less a crap shoot - might as well plead not guilty, show up for trial and tell it to the judge.
Here in Nevada I got a ticket for no valid insurance card (only had the expired one) - showed up in court (mandatory), showed the court the valid card and the ticket was dismissed. Seems to be the same in Jersey.

Hope this helps -
Good luck,
wtd

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">