• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Granddaughter moved in home while he was away recuperating - won't move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HomelessDadl

Alabama - about 40 years ago my father married a widow. The widow's first husband had built a home. My father and the widow along with her 4 children lived in the home from the time of the marriage. The widow died about 4 years ago of Alzheimers. My father was the major breadwinner - was a Merchant Seaman - never learned to drive but paid the major portion of all the bills and a major portion of the purchase of a vehicle for his wife. She worked a few years, driving a school bus until about 1968. He loved her very much and still mourns her death. The 4 children always led him to believe that he had no "rights" to the home but he could remain in the home until he died. They seemed to have an "understanding" about this. They said the car was theirs but chose to leave it there in his garage all this time. 3 years ago he went on World Search and found me - I had never met him - I am his only child. I have grown to love him over the past 3 years and am very concerned about events over the past 5 months. My father became very ill - they started calling me continuously saying he needed to come to Lafayette and live in a nursing home - saying I needed to "do" something. I have very strong reason to believe they assisted his illness - anyway I put him in the hospital there in Alabama - he was in ICU 4 days and stayed in the hospital 2 weeks. I packed some of his clothes, his TV, microwave and recliner and brought it to Lafayette to an Assisted Living facility. He recovered rapidly and began wanting to go back to Alabama. By the way, before we left, the brothers and sister reassured me repeatedly that the house was his until he died and he could come back as soon as he was ready. Also, the daughter's sons broke into his home on numerous occasions prior to his illness and during his illness. He never pressed charges and always bailed them out of jail any time they were ever in trouble. He gave his stepdaughter money for groceries regularly and on the 1st of the month he always had plenty of company and help going to the stores. Otherwise he pretty much was alone. I really wanted him to stay here near me but he was lonely for home. He wanted to sit on his porch in his rocking chairs, rake leaves in his yard and eat dinner at his table where all his family pictures were all over the walls. He gardened in the yard and rode a bicycle all over town. Well, about a month ago, one of the brothers (sons) called my dad and told him the daughter's daugher (my dad's stepgranddaughter) had moved into his house. My father and this girl never did get along - she tried to interfere when his wife was dying and she caused quite a bit of trouble then. This girl packed all his belongings in his house and put them in one room. My dad cried for 3 days and was brokenhearted that the stepdaughter would let this happen. She told him the girl would move out when he was ready to come home. All of the other 3 sons said the granddaughter had no right to move into the home. They wanted her out. One of them called my dad and told him he'd better get back over there in that house or he was going to lose it. He told my dad to tell her he was coming on the 31st. My dad told the stepdaughter he would be there in 3 weeks (Labor Day weekend) (the only time I could leave work) she'd best move out. He called her every few days to tell her that he was coming. She said she would be out. Then, a few days before we left, she said the girl had not been able to move out because the mother had to work and couldn't help her. My dad said we were coming - she had 3 weeks to move - she'd better get to packing. The step son (daughter's brother) said she had to move out but he didn't want to argue with his sister - He told me for us to do what we had to do to get her out - he was behind us 100%. The other brother wanted to have the whole crew arrested. He was livid. The 4th brother doesn't speak to any of them. So, we packed his stuff - drove almost 5 hours in a driving rain - called them about an hour out and they said they were not moving out - they didn't have to. They laughed at my dad and hung up on him. We got there late at night and went to a cousin's house who had called us and said come there. He took my dad in temporarily until we can get this resolved. He is in a tiny room with all his stuff in boxes still -he is 75 years old - this kind cousin really doesn't want to get in the middle of this but he knows what has been going on and loves his step grandfather and wants to help. Several neighbors and people who know these two females told me they had isuspected that something was afoot and that they had helped set things in motion - they said the two knew I would take my dad to Louisiana. They wanted him out of the house. My dad was determined not to come back to Louisiana - he said if he doesn't stay -he'll lose the house for sure. The police were very upset about it and wanted to arrest the whole lot of them - they know about the stealing and other illegal activities of the family. The Captain said we'd have to wait until Tuesday - it's a Civil matter - My dad is a nervous wreck - he just keeps saying "That's my home - that's my memories" The brothers don't speak to each other and they want her out but they say "I" need to get a lawyer. I don't want anything out of this except for my father to be safe and happy. I don't think he will ever be safe in this home now but it is what he wants. Sorry this is so long - does he have any rights at all? Surely the granddaughter has no rights? There was no will and no one knows where the deed is - we'll get that from the courthouse - they are driving the car - somehow they managed to get tags for it. The real kicker is that the granddaughter has a nice home of her own - already - it is a HUD house and the word is that she is renting it to a relative - no records of this of course. Can my father live in this house - what are his rights? Somebody needs to get a whipping. I think it's the mother for letting her daughter do this. They had 3 trucks lined up in the driveway to keep us from getting in if we had tried. I had no desire for that type of scene.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">