• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JerryC

My daughter (resident of Virgina) recently died in an automobile accident and she had no will and was never married. She was 25 years old and all of her assets and liabilities were in her name, and her liabilities exceed her assets. I am applying to be executor and I would like to know how I should handle her debtors/debts, how do I need to account for any actions I take, does this need to go into probate, etc.

Thank you
JerryC

ALawyer

My sincere condolences on your loss.

If the accident was in part attributable to anyone else, your daughter's estate may have a big claim for wrongful death and/or pain and suffering, and that would be part of her estate.

You really should seek legal advice locally if you are planning to file as he administrator / executor. While anything you do, or fail to do, can cause the creditors to come after you -- you may be able to work out some arrangement with them to wind this up as best you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">