• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on 1994 speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AnnamarieZ

My husband just received a notice from a collection agency from California for a speeding ticket he received in January 1994, stating he had not paid the ticket.

He was in the San Francisco area for military business and paid the ticket through the mail when he returned home to Wisconsin.

The collection agency cites that he did not pay the ticket.

The check was cashed at the time - and the checking account is long closed. I worked at the bank where we had our checking account in 1994, and know that the checking account information on closed accounts is only retained for 3 years. It has been 7 years.

My husband contacted the County in question, and was directed back to the collection agency, because they had not received the payment.

The collection agency is now asking for $350.

Is there a statute of limitations on speeding tickets? We would appreciate any help in locating California statute information on the net to clear up this issue.

Thanks,
:confused: in Wisconsin

N

Noodleboy

I have a very similar situation and would also LOVE to hear a reply to this. My ticket was a simple fix-it ticket that never even got submitted to the DMV. I had a number of tickets back in the early 90s (I was young and irresponsible) and I did not pay them. This resulted in a suspended license. Several years ago, I went to the DMV and got a printout of all outstanding tickets and payed them all off. My liscense was re-enstated and as of last year, my record had 0 points. Now, all of a sudden, I have been contacted by a collection agency stating that I owe for a ticket received in 1992! I called the DMV and they have NO record of this ticket. I called the court where the ticket was issued and they said they do have a copy of the original. I am wondering if there is a statute of limitations on how long after a ticket is issued a collection agency can expect payment. Hopefully, somebody will be able to help us both out!

Q

qadaq

AnnaMarieZ:

I don't know where to get the info on CA law, however this might make a possible defense. You call the county in question and ask to see their record of deposits of fines received for the time period in question. If they don't have records that go back that far, you point out that they don't have supporting documentation for their claim. Now if they do, yours should be in there. Also, did any of your friends at the bank see the cancelled check? Who processed it through your system? They could testify that the check was indeed cancelled and the teller if they knew you might know who dropped it off. That's all I can think of. Lawrat would probably be a lot of help here.

Noodleboy? Are you sure you paid the ticket? Here's why I ask. You mention the print out from the DMV, but they have no record of the ticket. As such paying all of these might not have covered the ticket in question.

I suspect it's not a point violation and that could be why the DMV doesn't know about it. As for how long they can expect payment, I don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">