• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conservatorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wally72

I am the legal conservator for a minor who has received a set settlement. The attorney who set up the conservatorship has continued, without my asking, to write up necessary submissions to the court, i.e., requests for reimbursements from relatives.
The local probate court has said that I do not need an attorney to do this and that they have the forms I need for all accountings, etc. I feel that this attourney is not necessary as this is a very simple conservatorship. Is there a reason the attorney registered as "attorney to the conservator"? This was never agreed upon between us. What is standard practice here please. We are in Oregon.

Thank you

L

loku

I believe that as the conservator you have the right to hire and fire attorneys for the matter. If you do try and fire the attorney and s/he refuses the termination without giving you a valid reason, then I suggest you contact the state bar.

M

mlstanhope

conservator...RUN!

Wally,
For the past 5 years I have been my daughter's conservator. All I seem to do is spend my time trying to keep the legal vultures from trying to devour her money. FIRE your lawyer! Until you do the court is going to consider him the legal representative. Read everything you can on being a conservator. Going Pro Se sounds good and reasonable, but remember, judges are lawyers in robes. They look out for one another. If your first accounting goes okay on your own, smile and live your life happily. If not, prepare yourself for what seems to be a never ending H*LL. If you don't get the same judge who set up the Letter of Conservatorship and Orders the next judge can change the whole thing. Guam has no conservatorship laws...I'm thinking of moving there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">