• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I responsible for ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Air Hunter

My mother passed last July, she lived in california. She left no will or living trust, but had no real property and her personal effects are worth very little. She had several life insurance policies with me as beneficiary so I could pay the funeral expenses, which I have. I contacted all her creditors to inform them of her passing. I am now recieving letters and closing bills for her. Am I responsible for these bills? How do I deal with or respond to these collectors and lawyers? I dont think a probate is necessary as there is no property or valuable items.

Thanks

L

loku

If the life insurance policies were made out to you as beneficiary, then the proceeds of the policies belongs to you and they is not subject to your mother’s debts. Nor are you personally responsible for the bills.

The estate is responsible for the bills to the extent of any assets in it. If there are insufficient assets to pay the bills, then the creditors lose.

Technically, I believe you should file the forms required for the disposition of Cal small estates without administration. You can see the procedures for this in the California Probate Code starting at Sec. 13000. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=prob&codebody=&hits=20; however, you may not need to do that if the creditors don’t press it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">