• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motorized bicycle catch-22

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qadaq

In MO you are not required to license a motorized bicycle (cool) but you are required to have an operator's license to ride it on public roads. (uncool) The problem here is this. If you don't have access to a car or motorcycle, how are you supposed to get the proper license to drive your motorized bicycle, since you can't drive it to take the driving/skills test? Would this be an effective defense if you were ticketed? Does this make the law unenforcable? Would the cops really care if you had a license or not?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

First, you use the brain God gave you.

Second, you take it with you on the bus.

Third, you ask a friend to put it in his/her trunk.

Fourth, you call a cab and put it in that trunk.

How many more can you think of ?

IAAL

Q

qadaq

Let's see.

1. I do use the brain God gave me. You should try it sometime.

2. The driver of the bus gets mad when I ride it on his bus.

3. The motorized bicycle is really hard to ride in the trunk of a car.

4. None of those options will allow me to acquire the license I need to ride it on the street.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Obviously, you don't have the mental capacity to understand what I meant. Did I say to "ride it" on the bus or in the trunk? You transport yourself and the moped to the DMV using these modes of transportation, you dolt.

Then, try being a smartass with the DMV (or the cop).

IAAL

D

Dampiera

Motorcycle catch 22

Boy you guys could go at it forever on this couldn't you? Excuse me Senior, but you don't seem to understand the question that Jr member is asking at all...maybe you should avoid answering questions that you don't understand. What Jr is asking is how is he supposed to get a permit if he can't ride the motorcycle/motor bike until he has one? How will he 'practice'? I don't know about your area but here we have classes available for this type of permit that teach you how to ride and then help you get your permit. Good luck Jr, it's a shame that people have to be so rude when all you have is a simple, legitimate question eh? :)

wtd

I'd hate to be accused of piling on here, but I got an entirely different read on the question.

since you can't drive it to take the driving/skills test
I understood original poster to say that the driving portion of the test cannot be taken using the motorized bicycle as the vehicle.
I.E.: The driving portion of the licensing exam must be taken using an automobile or possibly a motorcycle, no?
(Thus the Catch-22, I can't get a license to ride my motorized bicycle, because they won't let me take the test using the motorized bicycle - actually more of a conundrum than a pure Catch-22, I think.)

Unfortunately after all that, I still have no answer, sorry,
wtd

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Motorcycle catch 22

Dampiera said:
Boy you guys could go at it forever on this couldn't you? Excuse me Senior, but you don't seem to understand the question that Jr member is asking at all...maybe you should avoid answering questions that you don't understand. What Jr is asking is how is he supposed to get a permit if he can't ride the motorcycle/motor bike until he has one? How will he 'practice'? I don't know about your area but here we have classes available for this type of permit that teach you how to ride and then help you get your permit. Good luck Jr, it's a shame that people have to be so rude when all you have is a simple, legitimate question eh? :)
My response:

The question was not, "How will he 'practice'?" That's what YOU interpreted into the original post. Our writer is very, very, intelligent. If he wanted to ask that question, he would have.

Our writer was talking about a "motorized bicycle". If you can ride a standard bicycle, you can certainly ride one that is "motorized". Our writer was not talking about a Harley-Davidson "Electra Glide".

If you'd read closer, our writer's actual, and only, question was:

"The problem here is this. If you don't have access to a car or motorcycle, how are you supposed to get the proper license to drive your motorized bicycle, since you can't drive it to take the driving/skills test?"

Insofar as your new twist on our writer's post, concerning "practice" which was not asked about in the first place, he can ride it as a bicycle, and "practice," without engaging the engine.

And, because the vehicle is really nothing more than a bicycle with a motor attached, my suggestions for his modes to transport the "motorized bicycle" to the DMV, stand as stated.

IAAL

Q

qadaq

Yo IAAL!

Dampiera is right. You shouldn't answer questions you don't understand. Dampiera missed it as well but was far more polite. (Thank you Dampiera, both for the courtesy and for giving IAAL a well deserved rebuke.) Wtd, you get the prize for understanding the question. I wish you'd had an answer. (E-mail me and tell me what the difference between a catch-22 and a conundrum is, will you?) Does anybody have any thoughts as to what makes a law unenforcable? (Such as one for which there is a reasonable situation that would prevent you from complying with it.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">