• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers ex-wife refuses to give ashes to his adult children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AMBER ROSS

my father died 3 years ago, for closure my sisters and i have allowed his ex-wife to keep his ashes in her home. She is getting remaried and we've asked for his ashes (I am the next of kin on all of the paperwork). She refused to give them to us and the very next day had the ashes put in a wall at a cemetary, against our wishes. She had his father sign the paperwork at the cemetary. Is there anything we can do to get the ashes back into our posession?

thank you
amber

A

Attorney_Replogle

:D Sure you can do something here. Without more information, the only person I can see that is liable (responsible) is the ex-wife. So you can sue her for what she did with the ashes. At this point it would appear that the cemetary owners/operators are innocent as they were doing what was desired after receiving the paperwork that they needed. Whether that paperwork was valid or sufficient, I can't say without doing legal research on the topic. Just remember, that in such situations as these, you will have to expend a great deal of time, money, and emotional energy. So you will want to count the cost before you proceed with the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">