• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can a ticket be issued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elfboy

I was in an accident in my girlfriends car - I rear ended someone after the brakes locked up on me. I am unlicensed (ooooops)

The officers gave me a ticket for no license, failure to avoid collision, reckless driving & racing on a highway. I can understand the first 2, but the last 2 were apparently based on witness testimony because i went around a guy almost 1.5 miles prior to the point of the accident.

Can the sheriffs give me the tik for reckless driving & racing if they did not see the incident
occur?

Also, they failed to A) put my SSN on the tik and B) put my speed on the citation. I was reading up on this and in AZ 28-707. Charging speed violation; burden of proof; findings states: "A. In a charge of violating a speed restriction in this article, the complaint and the summons or notice to appear shall specify the speed at which the defendant is alleged to have driven and the maximum speed applicable within the district or at the location."
Does this throw out the ticket?

Im lucky they didnt take me to jail, i guess.. even luckier no one was seriously injured.

Thanks-
elf

E

elfboy

Changes in case.... AHHHH

HELP!!
The maricopa county sheriffs came and took the Reckless Driving, Racing on a Highway, and Failure to avoid collision charges off the ticket and reissued one for No License. they have informed me that the case file haas been passed on to the DA for review.

What can happen now? I have found out that the lady in the vehicle in front of me was not seriously injured (some neck strain). What charges can they bring agianst me, with what penalties?

-elf

Q

qadaq

Ok so you're down to a simple speeding ticket? Did they get the right info? You didn't give it to them for the second ticket did you? If they don't have your pertinent info on the ticket I suspect you can get this on tossed. It sounds like you're right about the no speed thing getting it tossed as well. For that matter, I'm not sure the second ticket is valid. I'd get an attorney. As for what they can charge you with, I suspect they're already done. You're looking at a speeding ticket. Again, see if you can get a lawyer with a free initial consultation, and remember. You constitutionally have a right to an attorney for free if you can't afford one. Now that right has been eroded to only include jailable offenses, but still if they want to charge you with that I'd have him defend the whole enchilada since it's related. Get a trial by jury if you can. Your fellow motorists will be more sympathetic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">