• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong info on traffic ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tung_lashing

I was pulled over for speeding, after handing me the ticket and pulling away i noticed he had all the times down wrong. he wrote down the date as 9-3-01 when it was 9-5-01. the time he had down was 13:10 when it happened at 14:30.
any grounds for dis-missal?:confused:
:confused:

JETX

Only if you are in the witness protection program. Which I assume you are since you failed to tell us what state.... see the RED text at the top of the screen????

Q

qadaq

I disagree. (Since I'm not a lawyer that opinion may well be worthless.) I would think that since the ticket doesn't have the correct date or time, it would be a simple matter to prove you weren't there. For that matter, you could probably prove that HE wasn't there. If you want to try for a dismissal I would talk to a lawyer. Pay for the time if you have to, but shop around because you shouldn't. Now if you can't I would talk to the City Attorney/DA/whatever first. Tell him you didn't speed on the date and time in question and tell him your alibi. What you don't want him to do is say "Hmmm. That's a problem. Let me fix it." then he makes everything correct and tells you to pay the fine. Don't admit to anything. Now it's possible this should be brought up in court so the officer has to explain why he wrote a ticket to you with the wrong date and time on it, but if you do, do it right. Get witnesses that will verify your whereabouts at the date and time on the ticket. Subpoena the transmission records for him at that date and time. For that matter, ask the officer. Now they may just reissue the ticket, but I would think that they would have to give you more time for your defense. Hopefully he hasn't noticed his mistake and so his records are wrong. I doubt the DA will want to sift through the records to find out what's right. If nothing else if the DA thinks you're willing to take it to trial he may cut you a deal. Again, I'd talk to a lawyer if at all possible, but if nothing else this will make them do a lot of work they didn't want to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">