• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cayenne~Carol

I am from Virginia and qualified as administrator of my mother's estate Sept 9, 2000. For Va there is a one year probate period. I know that two of her creditors have sent in information to the courts for payment. How long do I have after the probate period to satisfy her debt? She left me with only her home as an asset and I currently have it on the market but have not sold it as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CC

A

advisor10

SEPT. 10, 2001

You have a reasonable amount of time to take care of the debts. All you really need to do, if the creditors continue to demand payment, is to inform them by mail or by phone that you will have the money to pay them within the next 6 months. Whether or not you would want to tell them that you are selling the home is your decision (I personally would not be that specific in telling them where the source of the money is coming from). If there is obviously not enough funds left in the estate to pay the bills, then you should also tell them that as well.

C

Cayenne~Carol

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate your help. I was under the impression that they expected payment at the time the probate period ended.

CC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">