• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our trustee might be acting in self-interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msbliss

California...

My mother had her bf of 14 years write her trust, serve as trustee, and declared him a beneficiary in the form of a life estate. (Last October, just before she died.)

The paragraph describing his lifetime income isn't written clearly. Based on my conversations with her before she died, I interpret the trust differently than the trustee (her former partner.)

My brother and I (beneficiaries, payable after his death) had a handshake agreement made after my mom died, that we would be included in investment deciscions. We recently discovered that he has not been honoring that agreement, so there is doubt surfacing about how he is handling the trust.

He has been investing in ways that give him a higher income (like the interest on $90k note) and have caused us to lose potential equity by liquidating our real estate. Also, he interprets the trust as paying him a higher life-income than I read.

We asked for an annual accounting today, and he did not show us documentation of any kind. Instead, we got into a disagreement about how his life estate should be determined. He's been a wonderful influence in my life, but now I don't trust him and he's putting pressure on me to not take the trust to an attorney so that I may have it explained to me by an outside party. He is also the trustee for my 4 remaining family elders.

Help! How do I proceed in an effective way? Is this a job for a lawyer, mediator, what?

A

Attorney_Replogle

:) First of all, let me apologize that no one has gotten to you until today. I guess the war/attack on America, etc., etc. The bottom line answer to your question is; this is a job for a lawyer. Anyone else is basically just going to get the same/equivalent of the handshake deal. Anything short of getting a lawyer involved will not get at the root of the problems: whether he is unlawfully taking actions that benefit him rather than the trust beneficiaries, as well as getting a neutral appraiser involved to value the remaining property. OK?

M

msbliss

Thanks for responding to my post.

Actually, someone did respond to a second post I made, because I didn't think this one showed up on the board.

Glad to know that good people like you take time out of your day to help. I appreciate that!

A

advisor10

SEPT. 25, 2001

DEAR MSBLISS:

Handshake agreements are no good when it comes to doing business (which the boyfriend probably knew in advance)--you need to get things in writing, but he probably had no intention of being forthright with you from the beginning.

If his actions are honest and aboveboard, he should have no objection to you getting more information about the trust. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to get an explanation of the trust from anyone who can assist you: a trust lawyer, or a trust professional (preferably from a different bank than the one the trust is held at).

Another option you may want to consider if you can afford it is to hire an accounting/auditing firm to audit the trust to get their opinion on how it is being managed.

According to the law, you might not be entitled to an annual accounting, but it would be the right thing for him to do to want to provide it for you, but only a local attorney can advise you on this aspect.

Also please seriously consider checking out 2-3 books about trusts from your local library so you can educate yourself about them.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">