• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

durable power of attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alaskaland

my sister-in-law obtained a durable power of attorney over her father approx. 1 year before his death as he was 80+ years old and in questionable mental status. She stated she was also the executor of his estate. She had my wife removed from his joint bank account and cashed in 5 life insurance policies. She sold his expensive 4wd when he died about a year ago and had him cremated against his wishes. She now says she was not executor and has refused to give any accounting of what she did with the approximately $50,000 in his estate. This occurred in Missouri. My wife and I live in Alaska and I was named executor in a will he executed in 1979. What do we do?

ALawyer

She stole the money and assets.

A power of attorney expires at death. As attorney-in-fact shemay have exceeded her powers and the financial institutions that acted MAY (not likely but possible) be liable too.

A Will is NOT self operating and must be filed for probate. You should have asked for a copy and gotten notice of the filing if you are heirs at law.

NOW what to do? Get a lawyer. The lawyer would probably demand she repay the rightful heirs and do a full accounting, and if necessary file the old Will for probate to give you legal power.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">