• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate no will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rbean

My father died June 2000 in Wisconsin with no will. I am an only child and have been trying to talk to his former girlfriend of 13 years about receiving a few of my fathers personal items. She claims some of the items in dispute were purchased by both of them and says she hasn't been able to go through those things and will not discuss the subject further. I do not have a record on each item I would like to keep in my family, only a general idea of what my father had and would like her to compromise with me. What rights do I have in getting those items?

A

Attorney_Replogle

:) You have all the rights and she has none. In other words, just because she was your father's girlfriend doesn't mean squat. Even if there was a generally accepted idea as palimony in divorce (I mean "family law") law, that idea doesn't cross over to probate law. The only way she could legally have any claim to any property or debts of your father's estate is if he had made a valid will giving her the same. Therefore, I would consult with a local probate attorney and see what he/she says about this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">