• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting up a simple will in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VeronicaGia

State is Michigan

I'm setting up a simple will from a software program and would like to know if it has to be witnessed by two people or is one person enough? Also, there is an Affidavit of Execution at the bottom. Does this need to be signed, notarized and filed with the County in which I live for it to be valid?

Secondly, if I have someone I would like to specifically exclude from being a beneficiary, and state this in the will, how easy would it be for that person to contest?

Thank you.

A

advisor10

SEPT. 20, 2001

I'm not familiar with the law in Michigan, but I just wanted to suggest that it is essential that you have this "simple will" reviewed by a local probate attorney to make sure the terminology is correct and that it fits all legal requirements. If it is not reviewed and there are errors in ambiguous language or incorrect terminology, your will could be determined as invalid and then your estate would be divided according to intestate (without a will) law.

Was this simple will something you found over the Internet? Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, or else your estate could be distributed in a manner that you didn't intend.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

VeronicaGia

Thank you for your reply.

I actually bought the software from a store. It is called Will Writer, but since I don't have it with me right now, I don't know who makes the software.

I had the idea that a simple will was better than no will at all, but you have brought up a good point. I may also go to the State of Michigan web site that posts actual wills and get some ideas, then go to a probate attorney for advice.

My final objective is to set up a living trust, but that is expensive. A simple will is all I can afford right now.

Thank you again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">