• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee - How to Set Up Will To Protect Spendaholoic Sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alliebruce

My parents are getting ready to prepare their will. My youngest sister is nearly 40 and she and her husband are out of control with everything in their lives, including their finances. My parents, who are on social security, are supplementing their income. My quetion is this: my parents want to be fair in their will. However, they have had to take out loans to help my sister pay her credit cards and other "stuff". My parents know that I or my other sister will have to pay these debts when they die, because there is no way our younger sister can pay it. They plan to leave their home to my younger sister. However, they don't know how to protect it so that my sister and her husband don't get so far in debt that they end up selling the home, and then in six months, they're broke again (since that is their pattern). Obviously, they have to have an attorney prepare their will, but we don't want to go in "cold turkey" with no ideas of what to ask for. Can you help?

A

Attorney_Replogle

:D Sure, of course I can help. Probably the best book & software to get (for non-lawyers) on this is from Nolo Press. It is called WillMaker 8. That book & software has a chapter on what are called spendthrifts (i.e., your sister). You can get that book by going to their web site link at http://www.nolo.com

That book & software has the ability to make a valid will for any of the 50 states of the union. I am not saying to do that since they are planning on meeting with an Estate planning attorney anyhow. Just a side note. OK?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">