• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cerebral palsy daugther

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amymr

IDAHO-i have a 10 yr. old daugther born with cerebral palsy. we moved across county lines (barely) two years ago. for those two years she continued with her classmates in her old school as an out-of-district student. over the summer this county passed a new policy denying any special education students into their schools. they claim it has caused the county "undue hardship" financially and with staff issues. because of the emotional distress it would cause her to be placed in an unknown environment, new peers, teachers, therapists, administrator, and school,i had continued to enrolled her in this particular district. when i met with the superintendent, i was informed that this county would except the out-of-district applications for enrollment for my two other daugthers because they didn't receive special services, but not my 10 yr, old. i have found that only 6 students were rejected for enrollment this year and sent back to the county that we all reside in. ???6 students between k and 8 have caused "undue hardship"??? besides the behavioral problems that my daugther has been exibiting since she began the new school, this new school is not handicap accessable. she can't get into the bathrooms (with her walker) without help. the stall door sticks, the playground has unlevel and broken concrete with no access to equipment for her, and 100 other things that i noticed in walking through this old school. i have met with special ed. super., the school super., and principal on three occassions discussing these issues. i've been told that they don't have the money to do everything. i have become very angry with both counties. i believe the new policy is discriminatory, but the school board has told me that their attorney wrote the new policy so that it is legal. i have been reading everything that i can get my hands on to verify this. can you direct me to some government resources that can address these issues? and...is it legal???

D

dorenephilpot

Schools are allowed to restrict the children who attend to those who are in the actual school district -- or allow those from outside to come in if they pay tuition.

The idea is to keep people from cherry picking schools that their own taxes aren't supporting.

Now, if they say it's OK for non-disabled children from outside the district to come in but not the disabled kids, you do have some discrimination going on.

Contact an attorney in your state who specializes in special education law. You may have to dig a bit because it's a niche area, but you don't want someone who doesn't know this area of law.

You may have to go to due process....

Contact your state's department of education also, and someone there should be able to direct you to some good resources also.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">