• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DolphinVJ

I live in California. I am a little confused as to what should be retitled to the name of Living Trust and what should not. I have 403(b), employer funded retirement accounts, and my personal non-retirement investments. I also have 2 automobiles. As far as my Living Trust document is concerned it does cover "securities" and "automobiles". Is it okay to retitle the automobiles into the Trust's name - I have heard varying opinions. If not, what is the reason. As for the retirement and non-retirement investment accounts I have been told to choose my "Living Trust" as the beneficiary so that these accounts will flow to the Living Trust upon death. Is this correct? If not, how should I retitle? Would these accounts be subject to probate if over certain $ amount? Thanks for your help.

ALawyer

If you have a living trust you had prepared by a lawyer, you really should ask the lawyer. Generally cars are a hassle to hold in a trust as insurance companies get confused. I used to tell clients not to even try it.

As for the 403b and similar plans, you could name the trust as beneficiary, but sometimes usimg a benefoiciary designation is just as good or better, although you may want to balance out what you leave one way or the other (for example if 2/3rds of your assets are in a 403b, the trust beneficiary gets the bulk of the estate.

IF you did a living trust on your own, without a lawyer, you may be in more trouble than you think. Get it professionally reviewed!

D

DolphinVJ

ALawyer

Thank you for your response. Can you please elaborate what you meant in your answer that 403(b) assets should be balanced out if I choose my Living Trust as the beneficiary on my 403(b) beneficiary designation form.

Is it okay to designate my Living Trust as the beneficiary on my non-retirement investments (stocks, mutual fund, etc) as well?

How do you define "securities" as used in the Living Trust? Does this mean to include stocks, bonds, mutual fund, etc?

I live in California. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">