• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindyjd05

The state we live in is Texas. My son has been charged with vehicular manslaughter. I'm so worried for him. He is fresh out of the Army and was trying to re-enlist when this happened. He was given high hopes by an attorney that was also asking for 10,000 dollars to represent him. I'm afraid he is being deceived about the possible outcome of this trial. The attorney has told him that his military records will show he is still of value to society. Does that mean there is a possibilty he may go to prison? Is his life over also?
The accident involved two people,him and the other driver. The other driver was under the influence anti-depressants and mauj.(pot). He died at the scene. His life is over and his family can't get him back, this is sad. When I heard that my son was in this accident I cried for his injuries. When I found out the other man died I cried even more. Please tell me of the possible outcomes that may befall him next. Anything
mother Cindy

JETX

Manslaughter is a second degree felony in Texas.
As such, here is what the Texas Penal Code defines as the punishment for same:
"§ 12.33. Second Degree Felony Punishment
(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for any term of not more than 20 years or less than 2 years.
(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the second degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000."

I can't stress enough that your son should have competent legal counsel. If he is unable to provide for same, counsel will be appointed to represent him.

C

cindyjd05

I wish others would hear this story and possibly learn something. My son had everything going for him. He had just been discharged from the Army with several earned medals and had decided to re-enlist. He has his first baby on the way, due in Feb. 2002. His driving record was clean and never been arrested in his life. Now he will go to prison for his decision to drive drunk. People just don't understand that you may think you are fine to drive but your body is not. It continues to process the last few drinks you had while you are driving.
One of my worst fears is that he will turn out worst if he goes to prison. He has been told by others he will have to fight in order to not get RAPED. He is not a big man.
I love him and I hate to see this happening to him but a man is dead for his choice he made that night. Now I pray he will not die before this is over. He is a good person, been a good son but made a bad choice one night.
Thank you for your info. and thank you for hearing me out. I just needed to talk about my son. I can't let this get the best of me. I am still raising my 5 year old daughter.
Thank you
Cindy Daniel

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">